HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:49:20 -0800
Stigers, Greg [And] writes:

> Here's an interesting one, that I post reluctantly, because I don't want it
> to be seen as a PP6 horror story. Since September, we have had a job ftping
> some large ZIPs as bytestream files from one 3000 to another (our ftps to
> and from NT have been in production even longer, and are working fine), from
> which they would be periodically archived to tape. Monday morning, we
> applied PP6. Tuesday morning and this morning, the ftp hung on the first
> file, while consuming large amounts of CPU. Last night, when the ftp job
> could not be aborted, we took a memory dump for HPRC, which they are looking
> at, having already looked at both boxes while the job was hung. I am more
> inclined to think that something went wrong with applying the patch, and
> will be pouring over NMMAINT listings on both boxes. I thought I should see
> if this problem rings a bell with anyone.

I had this same problem back in November on 5.5 pp4 plus various FTPxxxx
patches (i.e. PUT-ing bytestreams files would cause a non-abortable CPU loop).
The fix was to install FTPFD90A, which because I don't see it listed on the
HP ESC web site I assume is still beta.

FTPFD90A has been installed on my production machine and regularly exercised
since December 1st.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/