HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:39:29 -0800
Miguel Cooper writes:

> I have installed Samba and Apache on an HP3000 with MPE/IX. I can access the
> samba folders and get WEB pages on the HP3000. To access the Web I need to
> use the IP address, and for samba I can find the  HP3000 by its name from NT
> with the find computer function, and create  a shortcut but it is not
> present in the Network Neighborhood map.
>
> I have edited the RESLVCNF and HOSTS on the HP3000, there is no DNS server
> here. Any suggestions of what might be missing?

RESLVCNF and HOSTS on the HP3000 are only used by the local HP3000 to enable
it to resolve DNS names.  They have nothing to do with making your HP3000's
DNS name visible to the outside world.  The only way to do that is to add the
necessary A, PTR, and maybe CNAME records to a DNS server.

How do your web clients access machines other than the HP3000?  By name or
IP address?  If these clients are MSWin machines, check your network config
to see whether or not DNS servers have been specified.  If so, those are the
servers that need to be aware of your HP3000.

If no DNS servers are specified, MSWin can use a local hosts file of
C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/