HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:03:36 -0500
Sletten Kenneth W wrote:

> Having gone this far down the "integrate POSIX in MPE" road,
> I don't see any realistic possibility of going back and revisiting
> the decision;  it was a one-way diode.  Whether HP should
> have or could have or might have taken the other fork may be
> an interesting academic question, but practically speaking
> surely it is moot ??...    for better or for worse......

Not to split hairs, but for my money, HFS is a very good addition to MPE
functionality.  I was thrilled by the MPE commands added to take advantage of
it. If the job would be finished - allow Image databases under any directory
and extend file equations to handle HFS.

Posix, on the other hand, is certainly a problem child, but it has made
integration into the Unix world a lot more practical - it even makes MPE more
accessible by persons with Unix experience.  This widens the available staff
experience that is useful to bring to MPE and opens the door to many more
users, both good things.

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services