HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:55:14 -0800
The SIGJava Executive Committee wishes to invite all HP3000 users with
an interest in Java to join us at a special pre-IPROF session on
Wednesday, February 17th, from 6 to 9pm in the evening at the Cupertino
Hilton Garden Inn, immediately following the Image SIEC "Enchilada"
meeting.

Details of that meeting, including information on, and directions to,
the hotel are available at:

   http://www.allegro.com/sigimage

This session is being made possible by the generosity of the SIEC, who
offered to let us use their room at the Hilton after they are done, and
Allegro Consultants, who have agreed to partially sponsor the costs for
putting this together.

This is not an "official" SIGJava meeting, and is free for anyone who
wants to attend (anyone who doesn't want to attend will be invoiced
later).  You don't need to be a member of SIGJava or Interex to attend
(though we might point out the many benefits of membership to you).

Since IPROF has only been able to provide 40 minutes for the official
IPROF SIGJava session, we expect to cover all of the in depth technical
topics at this session the evening before the start of the main IPROF
conference. We'll try to summarize the results during the official Java
session at 8am the next morning (Thursday).

Topics on the agenda include:

Java/iX Roadmap (will also be presented Thursday morning at SIGJava)
    - JDK 1.1.7 new functionality and improved performance
    - JDK 1.2
    - HotSpot

Java Execution / Application Architecture Models
    - What's possible, what makes sense for the HP3000, and what are
      people actually doing today
    - group discussion

Java Improvement Ballot
    - nominations & discussion (voting at SIGJava session Thursday)

What you can do with Java today
    - Java and Legacy Application integration
    - Java Development environments

What you can do with Java Tomorrow
    - Application servers, etc.

JDBC
    - Getting to your data on the 3000 from Java

How to get started with Java on the HP3000
    - how to download/install (pre-6.0)
    - how to install (6.0)
    - Recommended reading/browsing

At the moment we're planning to start the meeting at 6pm, right after
the end of the SIEC Image meeting.  Since this is a shoestring operation,
we currently have no plans (read: "money") to provide food of any kind,
which may somewhat tax the endurance of those wishing to attend both
the Image meeting and our Java session.  We are investigating the
possibility of providing "snacks" of some sort, or whether we can bribe
the hotel into letting us bring in some Pizzas or something, but at
this point we can't guarantee anything.

We'll provide further updates as the date approaches.

If you think you will, or might, make it to this session, we would
appreciate an email letting us know so that we can make sure that
we will have the appropriate quantity of snacks (if any) and handouts
(if any).  Also any suggestions for topics that you would like to see
discussed, etc.

For SIGJava,

Gavin Scott ([log in to unmask])
Mike Yawn ([log in to unmask])