HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:56:07 GMT
That's interesting that you should say that because I am currently searching
for a possible solution in that direction. I am hoping to produce A4 sheets
with built in barcodes for later use. A deskjet/laserjet solution would be
cost effective as I have plenty of them lying around. However, one of the
problems I am facing is that although desk/laserjets seem to have lots of
third party software available to produce barcodes, all the software that I
have found is based on a PC solution. Whether that be fonts or direct drive
solutions. But my data will be generated by a Unix server and transmitted
over a network which seems to rule out the software solutions I have seen. I
suppose that as usual I am missing something?

With reference to the original question it sounds like the network is
filtering out some of your control commands to the printer. First off I would
check that the server driver is set to bog standard line printer so that it
won't go trying to interpret any codes for you (hopefully). Assuming you're
doing this already and still not getting any joy I would check out if your
printer has another mode. I use a TEC B30 printer which can operate on plain
text commands so the characters get through with no problems.