HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:05:18 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Jeff relates his story of MPE vs. UNIX ...
>
> Sounds to me like the foundations of a testimonial that should appear in the
> trade
> rags ... :-)

Well the 160 users getting tolerable response on the 960 is an amazing
statistic all by itself!

As to the future, give Jeff and I another year at this (if UTC can keep to
the schedule) and in Jan. 2000 (if there is a Jan. 2000:-)) we'll bring to
you registration and fee payment statistics (and war stories) from the new
system (Unix/Oracle/vendor application) to tell "the rest of the story".  (Of
course, we'll blame any gliches on the Y2K bug, not the Unix/Oracle/vendor
application "system".)

BTW, we're still looking for a reasonably priced solution to be able to
update Oracle tables on Unix from a 3000 Cobol program to help tie continuing
3000 applications into the new Unix/Oracle/vendor "system".  Looks to me like
we could do this from Java on the 3000 (using Oracle's pure java thin client
on the 3000), but how do we call java from Cobol (or pass data IPC style in
between)?

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services