HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:54:20 -0500
Wirt Atmar wrote:

> Actually, if I had my way, I would back Posix completely out of MPE, eliminate
> the hierarchical file system, and run HP-UX as a subdomain of MPE. Doing that
> would completely eliminate all of the substantial porting effort that is
> required now (if a program runs on HP-UX, it would run on MPE without any
> further modification). More importantly, the unreliabilities and ambiquities
> of Posix/UNIX could be better isolated (UNIX could be allowed to crash without
> directly impacting MPE and the UNIX-like Posix commands could be isolated to
> UNIX, without confusion or compromise).
>
> All I want out of MPE is simplicity, reliability, ease-of-use, robustness,
> speed, efficiency, and power. UNIX, I can take or leave.
>
> Wirt Atmar

Wirt, I think you just swap one can of worms for another:

1.  Wouldn't it be quite an effort to make UNIX a domain of MPE?
2.  The ability to share files is a plus in many cases.  How
could
    this be handled and if it was you are back to the same
problem.
3.  There are those who want to tear down the MPE/UNIX walls, not
    the reverse.
4.  Wouldn't it be better to improve security in some way so that
    those who didn't want the boundaries crossed could prevent it
and
    those who did act accordingly?
5.  BTW, I believe enabling POSIX is optional.  Doesn't that meet
    your requirement if you want nothing to do with POSIX?

In summary, if POSIX could be run con-currently with  MPE or as a
domain, I am all for it, but if not I think we need POSIX
capability.

Nick D.