HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 1

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:24:08 -0800
Jeff after me:

>> Dictionary is Y2K compliant as of version A.03.01.

>> There is no DICJXD5 patch.  It is DICKXD5, and it should be
>> included in PowerPatch 6.

> About a year ago, I was informed by the corporate Y2K team
> that DICT/3000 was NOT Y2K compliant.

At that time, I guess it was true that it "was not"...  But if
anybody said that it "would not be made" Y2K compliant,
they were wrong....

> This meant that we would have to get rid of Inform.
> To make a long story short, all of the critical Inform reports
> were rewritten using Cognos and we lost a great end user
> reporting tool.

Yup;  within its limitation INFORM is still a very good end-
user reporting tool for non-graphical reports.  It's the only
reporting system on the 3000 that any significant number
of our end users ever became really familiar with....

> ..... to my dismay not only found that Inform was suggested
> but that Dict/3000 will be Y2K compliant!?!?

My sympathies;  those of use that still use DICT/3000 and
INFORM/3000 are of course glad....   :-)

> I would like someone to verify that I am understanding all of this
> correctly.  Are the following facts correct?

>     Inform is a Y2K compliant report writer
>     Dict 3000 will be Y2K compliant if you put PP 6 in place

It hopefully goes without saying that I do not in any way speak
for HP.  But note again in the official HP "Read Before Installing
MPE/iX PowerPatch 6", on page 18:

"....  may be required for Year 2000 compliance."

DICT/3000 version A.03.01 is in the "Year 2000 Products"
list.  I would hope that would be "official" enough for most
folks WRT DICT....  WRT to INFORM, it should be listed
somewhere on the HP web site along with DICT/3000
under Y2K certified systems....  I don't seem to have the
URL at my fingertips right now, but pretty sure it's there
some place under Y2K info...

Ken Sletten