UTCSTAFF Archives

January 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Diane Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:22:36 -0500
Dr. Henry Spratt has been received a research contract for $42,886 from
Bugz, Inc., a firm located here in Chattanooga.  Under the terms of this
contract, Dr. will conduct research regarding small-scale oil spills.
While large-scale oil spills at sea have gained the greatest public
attention, small-scale spills
actually account for a greater total release of petroleum into the
environment than the large-scale spills.

In the first phase of his research project, Dr. Spratt will develop a
product to absorb and then bioremediate small-scale spills of waste motor
oil.  If this phase is successful, the grant will also support research to
determine the location in the cell of the genes responsible for oil
degradation, to examine the uniqueness of the genes involved in the
degredation process, and to assess
the potential to enhance the degradation of oil by moving the responsible
genes into different species of bacteria.

We wish Dr. Spratt good luck with his research and we congratulate him on
this impressive honor!