HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 5

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:03:38 -0500
MPE/iX 6.0 Release Notes (from "Read Before Installing" manual)

<quote>
Inbound Ethernet

SR# 4701-359919 & SR# 4701-360321

Inbound Ethernet may not work; the following error may be received:

(IPC. 3.8 ) Connect call socket
Expected result: SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION.  (SOCKERR 0)
Received result: DESTINATION UNREACHABLE.  (SOCKERR 116)
IPCCheck= 116; PMError= 0

Workaround Solution

Make sure that the machine you communicate with has both Ethernet and
802.3 enabled, OR the HOSTS.NET.SYS file has the IP address for the other
machine, OR the network directory has an entry for the other machine.

</quote>

???

Note that I quoted the ENTIRE page. No other details. No idea of what
products/subsystems might be affected; or even exactly what the PROBLEM
really is (as opposed to the "symptom" which this really describes).

For those using DNS (reslvcnf.net.sys) does that solve the problem? What
exactly *IS* the problem? Are PROBEs not working for ethernet (as opposed
to 802.3) hosts? Or is this telling us that sometimes our networks just
won't work (which is the logical assumption from the description provided
and it's HORRIBLE lack of detail).

HP: Details please!

      -Chris (remove nospam for personal replies) Bartram