HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 5

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:44:37 -0500
Joe Geiser wrote:

> The problem here is simple -- we MPE users are a spoiled lot (and this is
> good!).  Image was designed in a certain way, and maintaining an Image
> database is any Database Administrator's dream.
>
> Going to Image/SQL however, now ADDs tasks to a database administrator's
> task list -- something that once was unthinkable!  (All we need is Adager
> and we're off!) Well, guess what?  The tasks are not all that nasty, most
> can be "scripted" meaning that if they need to be rerun, scripts can be run
> to do the work (for both ISQL and IMAGESQL) so the argument of added work
> really dosen't wash.  Oh yes, and in most cases, after the DBE is set up --
> "All you'll need is Adager" (or DBGeneral) because they both will handle
> attach/detach of your DBE and even make sure it's still in healthy shape!
>
> I won't say that there aren't problems -- there are.  I am saying that the
> "Direct To Image" argument is NOT one of them.  Direct to Image is more of
> an excuse than anything else.  (now getting flame suit ready :)

No flame from me, just agreement, and a warning.  It is *far*, *far*, less
work to do database administration for Image/sql, even with the DBE thing and
ODBC thing and all, than to use Oracle! [Oracle does do a lot of things Image
doesn't, but do you need those things for the price tag?]  Moreover, if the
Image/sql DBE/ODBC thing satisfies your users, then it is mighty easier than
that big, bad, migration to Unix/Oracle thing.:-)

Now, an addition.  With Java, it looks like the roll your own alternatives
are also getting real interesting.  When (if?) JDBC becomes available, you'll
be able to use general purpose reporting tools, too.

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services