HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 5

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:24:11 -0800
Leonard asked:

> We have an Allbase DBE that is attached to a TurboImage data
> base in the same account. Is it possible to attach it to a data
> base in a different account? different account on a different system?

Michel answered:

> ....  but across different account I know it is! (because I did it)

We did too;  and ran that way in production for some time.  BUT:
As part of our ongoing effort to get ASP via ODBC using ADO 2.0
to work (see my other email earlier today if you care), it appears
that in some cases an ODBC driver much prefers to have the DBE
in the same account as the TurboIMAGE database(s) that are
ATTACHed to it;  at least security and permissions start to get
somewhat ugly if they are not.   sooo....:

Even though it is generally not a preferred solution from out point
of view, with what we are trying to do with ODBC to IMAGE right
now having separate DBE's in each of our two main production
accounts appears to make the ASP via ODBC thing easier.  Of
course all we have to do is "ATTACH" and then do one ADDUSER;
no manual SPLITs or UPDATE TYPEs or anything else.  So
maintaining two independent DBE's is at least tolerable for us for
right now to help the ASP effort....  YMMV....

Ken Sletten