HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:06:04 -0500
John Clogg wrote:
> Richard & Jeff:
> Thanks for mentioning the problem with SYSINFO and disc mirroring.  It
> happened to me last week and I wasn't certain that SYSINFO caused it.
> The amazing thing is that I was getting a map of the system's memory
> modules, and not even looking at I/O configuration!  Is there a
> mirroring-friendly (SCSI friendly) version of SYSINFO?  If so, where can I
> get it?

I don't know that there is a safe, online version anymore.  This has
happened to me twice, once long ago at UTC on a 960 with a CIO SE SCSI
channel with the system volume set on it, and it produced a system
abort.  The other was at Xavier on a 9x7 where it produced a LLIO error
and downed one side of a mirrored user volume set.  If I recall
correctly we were able to close the side in error and rejoin the mirrors
with volutil.

Some technical expert could probably explain it better, but essentially
SYSINFO is doing it's own low-level scans of the system bus to determine
what is where, and somehow this steps on MPE's own LLIO code in the
process.
I don't remember ever having trouble with it until SCSI came along.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

PS - SYSDIAG->LOGTOOL->MEMRPT is the safest way to determine memory
configs,
but I'd stick with offline ODI->MAPPER to get the overall configuration.