HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:33:47 EST
I've just put up a new version of QCTerm on the web. Its URL is:

     http://www.aics-research.com/qcterm

This new version corrects some of the remaining pecadillos that people have
been reporting with VPLUS-like forms and Qedit. As with all things complex, as
we push on towards the last stages of perfecting the basic terminal, the
problems people are reporting are more and more obscure -- and harder to
describe. Thus, I can only hope that we have resolved most of the reported
problems with this release, but if we haven't, please let us know.

One significant feature that has been added to this version of QCTerm is the
capacity to maximize the display screen. Several people have said that they
wanted the capacity to completely cover the screen with their terminal (their
users didn't like seeing other programs peeking around the corners of the
terminal's window).

Quite similarly, other people have asked for the capacity to grab all of the
screen display that they can so that they can show as many lines of code at
one time as possible. And finally, a number of other people have asked for
larger fonts (primarily because they've got their 36" wall-sized terminals set
to 6000 x 8000 pixels, and when they do that, they can't read the standard-
sized fonts the rest of us use easily :-).

Actually, all three of these requests are somewhat the same. Based on these
comments, where we're going now with QCTerm is to keep the same display
philosophy, but we are going to have to rewrite a fair portion of the basic
display: We are still going to refrain from distorting the screen in the
manner that a normal HP terminal or Reflection does to get 132 characters on
the screen. Rather, we're going to leave things as they are (undistorted
characters, but dropping to a smaller font if you ask for more than we can
display on the current screen width). We will add a new, larger font sometime
in the near future so that there will be three font sizes: large, medium, and
small. Medium and small exist now. When we create this new font, based on your
current screen size (in pixels), we will choose the most appropriate (largest)
font size for whatever screen size is requested (80, 132, 200 characters).

Several people have also suggested other enhancements. Not all of them have
made it into this release, but all of the recent enhancement requests have
been reasonable and I'm sure that they will make it into the next release. As
always, please let us know immediately if QCTerm isn't working for you in some
manner.

Wirt Atmar