HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:43:57 -0500
 In <000201be285d$9e4bf440$240a0a0a@hans-ole> [log in to unmask] writes:

> We have 2 HP 3000s linked together via an ISDN-network, a production-HP 3000
> and a test-HP 3000. Normally you log on the the machine you want to,
> transfer files to and from - and normally all works very fine and performing
> splendidly.

[snip]

> So we created a dummy printer-device on the test-machine. A job then waits
> for a spoolfile to occur on the test HP 3000, issues a file-eq like :FILE
> LPXX=YYYY#LPXX;cctl where YYYY is the name of the remote node and LPXX is
> the device(class) of the printer. Then a DS-line is opened and a :REMOTE
> HELLO is issued in the job. Next it's easy to to a :FCOPY
> FROM=Ozzzz.OUT.HPSPOOL;TO=*LPXX
>
> This concept works; but it is incredibly slow! This slowness can not be
> related to the 64 kbit/s ISDN-link - doing a simple :COPY is thousands of
> times faster.
>
> 1) Has anybody tried this before - with similar experience - and do you have
> a work-around?

Yup!!! It's slower than molasses in january... gotta be 100 times slower than
normal copies. It's due to the inefficiencies of the internal remote file
access stuff that's used to access the remote file.

I've battled with this in the past.. it's a losing battle. remote-access like
that is almost useless.

> 2) Can you imagine a smarter solution to the problem. While this works as
> described, it's a bit "heavy".

Either some fancy code/processes of your own to copy the files across,
Perhaps use Samba on both systems to 'share' those serial printers on the
production box and write to them via samba on the development box; or pick
up one of several third-party products (from RAC, Minisoft, Quest) that are
designed to do just that.

                             -Chris (remove nospam) Bartram