HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
John Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:23:10 -0600
Jean-

Ther are several buses on a computer.  When HP says that a fast/wide bus is
20 MB/S, what they mean is from the controller card out to the device and
back to the controller card.  The bus inside the CPU obviously doesn't
change.  So, no, you'll never get 80 MB/S, except on the HP 9000 side with
their HSC bus, which is 80 MB/S (supposedly coming to HP 3000s in the near
future).

Although I do not have the numbers in front of me, generally the newer the
system, the wider the cpu bus.  So yes, the 9x9s have wider internal cpu
buses than any of their predecessors.  This is where manufacturers are
trying to make strides.  CPU speed is enormous (400Mhz plus), but bus width
can't keep up with it.

For your info, this is why we have been recommending that, if end users
really want to speed up their systems, they should load them up with as
much memory as they will hold, because now you don't have to worry about
external buses - your application is all in memory and uses only the
internal bus.  You can literally DOUBLE your system's performance if you do
this and know how to set MPE parameters to utilize all the memory.   If
interested, reply and I'll go into more detail.

John Lee
Vaske Computer Solutions
Minneapolis, MN
We sell, service, repair, and maintain HP 1000, 3000, and 9000 hardware