HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
"Trudeau, James L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trudeau, James L
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:30:07 -0700
Howdy,

Well yeah, you could restore the detail and it's master(s).  Then, assuming
that the production
database has been updated during the 13-14 hours, you can go deal with the
root file.  Also
assuming this is not a one_shot_deal you can ENSURE that the proper tapes
are being restored
at the proper time.  Now that we've got that out of the way, I'd like to
make you a bet.  My best
heifer against nothing that sooner or later something is going to go bump
and you will have a really
hosed (tech term) production database.  Partial restores are something to be
dealt with under
very controlled and specifc circumstances.

You don't say what kind of boxes you've got nor how many links into the
detail set.  If it's a
pretty simple setup you might try - 1) process on test box 2) extract the 8
million recs to a
plain jayne file 3) somewhere during #2 erase (Adager? DBgeneral? custom
prog) the production
dataset 4) load (Suprtool, custom prog?) the flat file to the production
data set.  Probably take
awhile on the load to production but it should significantly less than 13-14
hours, depending
on the box the database complexity.....blah, blah.

Now before you go thru all that, are you certain you have everything
optimized in the production
environment?

wel the users sing me their siren song - gotta run

Jim Trudeau