HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
Walter Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:03:52 GMT
Newman, Kevin: ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Why would it not be classified as a known problem?  The lab guy was able
: to duplicate it, doesn't he know about it now?

Disclaimer:  I'm not a member of the MPE lab, and I don't know how
they do things.  Each lab has its own procedures and policies for
processing SRs.

Typically, an SR will be handled by a couple of engineers before
being forwarded to the appropriate lab.  Both the Response Center
engineer and the Expert Center engineer may duplicate a problem.
Each will add documentation to the SR, in text portions that are
not viewable outside HP.  Not until the lab investigates it will it
be classified.  If it hasn't been documented in a previous SR, and
if it really is a bug (not a feature :-), then it will likely be
classified as a new Known Problem (KP).

If the lab engineer investigates and finds that it's actually the same
as a previously reported problem, it will probably get classified as
a Duplicate (DP).  If not really a bug, it might be classified as a
User Misunderstanding (UM) or Enhancement Request (ER).  There are
several other classifications possible.

An SR won't be viewable at the ESC until officially classified by
the lab as a KP, even though other HP engineers in the support chain
may have investigated and duplicated it.

Walter Murray
Hewlett-Packard
Support Technology Lab