HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
Melvin R Rees <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:02:55 GMT
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:36:56 GMT, (Peter Navin) wrote:

>Excuse me for being new to the HP3000/MPE world (I come from Win NT),
>but I have been asked to find an answer to the following question: Can
>remote clients running terminal emulation software (Reflection) log
>into a HP 3000/MPE server across the internet and get a command
>prompt, as apposed to having to dial up directly to the server?
Yes, As Ted answered, it is pretty easy.  Today, the exchange of info
without VPN is clear text, so you may want to consider that.

>other words, the clients are connected to the internet via there own
>ISP's and the HP 3000 server is connected to the internet via a
>deticated DSL or ISDN line, and the clients some how connect to the
>server and logon. Is this in anyway possible or just a pipe dream.
>Windows NT has Point to Point Tunneling Protocol that enables you to
>create your own LAN over the internet. Does MPE have anything like
>that?
No MPE does not have VPN, but if you have an NT on your network it can
do the VPN stuff and you can still log on to the HP3000.  Althought
the jury is still out on how "safe" VPN really is, I use it quite
regularly.

Rgds
Mel Rees