HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:32:50 -0800
Although I don't have an answer for Donna, I do have
two notes:

> shell/iX> ftp <ftprgh.cmd     # here I try to redirect stdin
> using "<"
> producing the following err
> FILE OPEN ERROR (PASCERR 692)
> FILE IS '$STDINX'

1) Even HP-UX doesn't allow a password to be in an ftp input script,
   sigh.  (It seems to ignore the script and read the password from
   the terminal.)

2) you might want to remove the ">" from your prompt.

   Imagine if you will, that you have a valuable script/program called
   "foo" in your current working directory (and your path includes your
    current working directory).

   You do:

      shell/iX> foo

   and "foo" does something.  Life is good.

   Then, you accidentally retransmit the "foo" line again (perhaps
   you hit up-arrow and ENTER, or something else (like a mistake with
   the mouse)

   Your precious "foo" file is now empty.  Life isn't so good.

   The problem is that the re-transmission of the "shell/iX> foo"
   line is seen as an attempt to execute the command "shell/iX" and
   send the output to the file called foo.  foo is opened (resetting the
   eof to 0) *before* the shell notices that "shell/iX" isn't a valid
   command.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html