HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:38:24 -0800
Wirt writes:
> As long as you're asking, I would very much like to see IPROF return to its
> roots, a very small attendance of 100-200 people, limited by nothing more
> than first-come, first-served rules, held at HP,

Good so far, though it's a shame that "first come, first served" necessarily
excludes some very valuable exchange.  Still, I understand the reason for it,
and I don't have a better alternative.

> with very small registration fees, $50 or less

Not likely, but the current fee structure dictates that I pick at most one --
HP World or IPROF -- and the most technical bang-for-the-buck sure appears
to be IPROF.

> (most likely implying the withdrawal of Interex from having any
> part of IPROF), offering a chance for the SIGs to talk to HP directly
> about their most pressing concerns.

This was actually my primary impetus for responding.

Isn't it a bit contradictory to talk about Interex withdrawal,
while simultaneously referring to SIGs (which are part of Interex)
talking with HP?

I understand your point, though.

One suggestion is for HP to have an "advisory group" that is by invitation
only from HP, though customers could state their case for wanting to be in
said group.  The reason that HP would be the driving factor is that they
know with whom they have the most valuable exchange.

Yes, this sounds like Interex, except that in this scenario, rather than
go for the "luck of the draw" -- which may directly affect the quality of
the information exchange -- HP would know who was coming.

Another suggestion is for the meeting to be only of SIG leaders (and
perhaps select invitees, with a strict limit) and HP.  This may put
more of a burden on the SIG leaders/volunteers.  This may allow the
very low (or no) fee that Wirt proposed.

> I would be absolutely opposed to a vendor show. HP World already
> adequately serves that purpose, and there is very little value
> in duplicating HP World.

I have to agree with this one completely.

--Glenn

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text