HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:23:12 -0800
Hi all,

The High Availability Forum Executive Committee (HAFEC) is in the process
of determining levels of participation in the various Interex-sponsored
events.  We will be participating in HP World, InterWorks, the ERPWorlds
and IPROF.  IPROF is fairly different from the first three in that it is
pretty much a straight technical work with information flowing just from HP.

I personally have very strong opinions that I would like to see a
metamorphosis for IPROF, that it would grow in its technical breadth to
include people outside of HP offering very technical treatises in their
areas of expertise.  I would like to see IPROF become an MPE InterWorks.
One of the reasons I would like to see this is that I have been
increasingly dissatisfied with the quality and quantity of MPE-specific
technical sessions at HP World.  That show is so much more focused on
management issues that most of the "technical" MPE sessions are pretty ho-hum.

An example of what is possible is that the HAFEC has created a very strong
relationship with EMC.  It is very possible that the HAFEC could enlist EMC
speakers to address very specific MPE-related issues.  This would also give
EMC an opportunity to hear directly from an MPE-focused audience.  This
would only be good for future EMC development issues.

As a caveat, and with apologies to the MPE Forum, I am offering this topic
for discussion with my HA Forum co-chair hat on and not as an individual
who is directly empowered to effect change for IPROF.  Also, I believe that
the agenda for IPROF '99 is set so there may not be much opportunity to do
more than have additional hardcopy information available for 99.  But, what
should happen after that?

Specifically with respect to high availability issues at IPROF, what I
would like to know is this:

What kind of participation would you like to see the High Availability
Forum have at IPROF??

Are you interested in seeing technical high availability presentations from
HP?

Are you interested in seeing technical high availability presentations from
third-parties?

In a more generic sense, would you like to see IPROF stay exactly as is or
would you like to see its charter expanded somewhat?

Would you be more likely to attend IPROF if it were expanded?

Would you be less likely to attend HP World if IPROF were expanded?

How would you feel about a vendor show at IPROF?

Bill Lancaster
High Availability Forum Co-chair