HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:23:23 -0500
Curt asks again,

> I am still confused on the second question.  I tried a generic DDS
certified
> 4-7.5m tape (~160mb) on the DDS2 drive and transferred files to the DDS1
> drive fine.  But yesterday I tried using a HP DDS1 60m tape and it did not
> like it.  The DDS2 also did not like a 90m non DDS certified tape (audio
> quality).

For some unknown reason, DDS2 drives have a problem with 60m and 90m tapes
that were previously recorded with DDS1, unless compression is turned off on
the DDS2 drive.

Now that you turned off compression on the DDS2 drive, it should be able to
use those tapes.  If not, then these tapes will probably work only on the
DDS2 drive.

(Methinks that's why HP came out with DDS3 - it works with anything :)

Cheers,
Joe