HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Steve Widmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Widmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:54:28 -0800
o' mighty Mimir of HP3000 knowledge:

One of our manufacturing environments (for which I've recently become
responsible) relies on an application that runs on an MPE/V box.   We will
be migrating their account & everything in it to an XL box, located in a
different building.

We are warming up the migration effort and I'm not sure what to do with the
model 2563A printers that are directly connected (DTCs(?)), I believe
serially, to the classic box (located in a different building from both the
classic & XL boxes).

The XL box that this account will be migrated to already prints (via IP) to
HP LJ printers with onboard JetDirect cards.   While there are some (i
presume) upgradeable HPLJ printers out in our site, the DTC(?) printers are
causing me pause.  Our options, as I see 'em, are:

- switchover the DTC's to the new box (downtime for users, 1 more critical
path switchover item, totally unfamiliar with related issues including
whether this is possible)

- stick a serial->parallel converter in front of each impact printer, then
a jet direct box between the converter & the XL box, and add an LDEV and a
line in NPCONFIG

- stick Intel Netport boxes between impact printers and XL box and use
something like Minisoft's NetPrint/92 (which we can use for free)

- buy new JetDirect printers

note: any purchases must be done with budget money allocated for something
else, but will be done if justified by cost of ownership.

Best suggestion gets an 'ir+' baseball cap + recognition, or just the
recognition.

TIA,
Steve