HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Steve Fatula <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Fatula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 06:16:57 GMT
John,

While "CNs" will always require maximum pc power, and some people have uses for
them as well, I don't see the average guy on the street needing them. We may be
spoiled, but not everyone can buy those nice pcs, certainly not several of them!
And once they have them, you listed one problem, hookng up devices, but the far
bigger problem is Windows itself. It is just too complicated. Windows will either
have to do a ton of changing, or something else will have to replace it. I don't
think Windows can do enough changing, I think there will need to be a much larger
leap in technology on the OS end.

I help people all the time who own machines, but they just don't know how to get
Windows to do things. Then you get the conflicts. Then you get the dll problems.
Then you get crashes. etc. etc. Heck, even Microsoft software kills Microsoft
software. How can the average non-CN deal with this? Then there is software that
just plain don't work. Then there is bloatware like Office has become. I'll soon
need a 900 MHZ machine just to write a blasted memo! Geez, my Apple ][e was able
to write nice memos, and it really wasn't any harder to use for that purpose.

So, there are lots of problems to be overcome in the pc world. It will take
hardware advances as you stated, operating system advances (and I mean SERIOUS OS
advances), and application advances.