HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:29:52 -0500
Sletten Kenneth W wrote, after Gavin:

> > ..... I would like to setup a TCP port on my 3000, which, when
> > someone connected to it, would spawn an MPE telnet based
> > session on that port with a particular USER.ACCOUNT login.
>
> Ah ha !!!...  the old "can we get the equivalent of STARTSESS for
> a network session" request again / still;  except driven by a generic
> connect to a socket instead of a UDC...  yeah:  That would be a
> *real* nice feature..  another good subject for SIGMPE @ IPROF-99

Not to sound like an answering machine, but if telnet was not
implemented
as an "internal" service, and inetd sockets worked as they should (as
Mark Bixby has pointed out before the stdin/stdout complications), you
could simply replace telnetd with the program-of-choice such that when a
user came in on that port, they would automagically be launched into
that program.

The closest simulation is to dig up some of Eric Schubert's NQTELNET
code which can be hacked to do just this.  We do it for our online
registration for students.  They telnet to a nonstandard port and bang,
you're there.  You can't do that with "real" telnet.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>