HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:19:29 -0800
Ken writes:
> Yup....  So has AICS Research, with QueryCalc.  I believe both
> Robelle and AICS Research use essentially the same MR NOBUF
> technique to significantly speed up READ-ONLY serial access...

Are you sure?  I thought Wirt was allergic to PRIV mode :-)

> I quite frankly cannot conceive of a real-world production situation
> where any site, and I do mean *any* site, could make a plausible
> technical and financial case for "roll-your-own" WRITE access to
> IMAGE.

<sarcasm>
And why stop with bypassing Image.  What about that bloated file system
and operating system?  Why not generate your own SCSI bus commands to
talk directly to the disk drive.  I'm sure it would be soooooooo much
faster that way.
</sarcasm>

G.