HP3000-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:39:32 +0100
Ola wrote...

>We are using FTP on the HP3000 to send files created by COBOL
>programs to update pages on our WEB-site residing on a UNIX host.

Have you considered to run a web server like QWEBS or Apache/iX
on your 3000 and simply have selected web pages from your Unix
server hyperlink to the pages residing on the 3000 server? Might
make the whole FTP unneccesary.

>Why are spaces added to the end of each record ?
>Is there a way of eliminating this - defining the recordlength of the
>target file ?

If your COBOL programs generate Fixed ASCII records, they will
be padded with blanks. You might want to convert them to bytestream
before the FTP step and trim trailing blanks at that time, too:

 : /bin/tobyte "-at MPEFILE bytestreamfile"

It might even be possible to use a FILE OUTFILE;REC=,,B,ASCII for
the COBOL program, but it might complain about the output record
format not matching the FD specs (at least COB85XL will probably
do this).

Regards, Lars.