HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:07:35 GMT

>I see that private responses are preferable, but this happens to be a
>subject where I can't resist pulling out my soapbox....my apologies in
>advance.
>
>Unfortunately I know of very few consulting firms that are more than just
>plain pimps.  The major difference between being a contractor and a
>prostitute is that the prostitute knows up front that she is billing
>$100/hour and only getting $35-45.  Another difference is that the pimp
>won't lie to her about the excellent benefits that will be given out as
>compensation.  As contractors we aren't told what the client is getting
>billed - and guess why?  Why would someone want to hide that figure?
>Well, it's not real hard to guess the reason.....

While it is unfortunate that the contracting firm wants so much, not all
contracting firms are as indicated.  Although OakSoft is small, we always ask
what you want as compensation.  Most times we get to say yes, a few times we
need to make a some modifications, and once in a while we find that we cannot
do what you want.  If you bring us new sales, we let you keep the sales
commission after all you earned it.  There still are admin costs,taxes and yes
we do make a profit too.  Without a profit, we do not stay in business for very
long.  So Mark indicates that most contracting firms are just pimps, and we
have seen them.  I just want to point out that not all are.  I feel that
OakSoft's best interest is being honest with the employees in this very private
and personal matter.  By the way we rarely get to make $20/hr off an employee.

Terry Warns
President, OakSoft Consulting