HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:04:14 -0500
Cary,

Thus it was written in the epistle of Cary A Marshall,

> At the risk of sounding somewhat thick, can someone explain what a
> "superset" is.

Don't worry about sounding thick.  We've got some of the world's best support
folks on this list and we tend to be happy to answer questions.

If we take a "set" to be a bunch of something, for example "all the coins which
are U.S. currency", then a "subset" is a bunch of things chosen from within
that set.  In our example, "all the U.S. coins which have smooth edges" would
be a subset of "all the U.S. coins".  Going the other direction, as it were,
a "superset" is a bigger bunch which includes everything in the set at hand.
Returning again to the example, "all coins" would be a superset of "all U.S.
coins" since in includes not only U.S. but also non-U.S. coins.

BTW, I wasn't including myself as a member of the set "the world's best support
folks," but the opinion has been expressed previously that that set is a
superset of "the folks at Adager," and thus the concern in another thread which
sparked "top-level meetings" :-).

Hoping this helps,
Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is