HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

From:
Allen Cintron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Cintron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:11:30 -0800
Tom wrote,

clip
> One of Netscape's best
> offerings recently has been that of free email (bring your own ISP) and
its
> NetMail is a pretty good online mailer.
clip

Am I paranoid and overly cautious, or is anyone else apprehensive about
signing up for these types of **free** services?  My concern is eventually
being held ransom when there is a large enough subscriber base to warrant
converting the system to fee based.  I guess my ISP could do the same, but I
know what my costs are there and they have historically decreased.  I am
concerned with having to pay for redundant services once people are used to
contacting me through my E-Mail or web page forwarding addresses for which I
suddenly have to pay.  I would happily pay a small fee for E-Mail forwarding
if I knew the cost would remain constant and I could use it as my permanent
address regardless of my employer or ISP.

Just wondering,

Allen Cintron
Quest Software
"Expect a Solution"