HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:09:39 GMT
Hello,

Cobol continues to live.

I'm not a COBOL fan, but i would say that the language itself is quite simple
to read and it's easy for someone who has not done the job to take the source
code & understand quite efficiently the logic behind (even if i find the
grammar too restrictive & long to write).

Each language has its facilities, difficulties, goals.

I use C usually used to write "low-level" routines when speed is the
criteria. Developping a full application using C can be a disaster if the
programmers did not their job perfectly using techniques to protect
themselves from "crashes" (crazy pointers and so on).

Personnally, i use at work Cobol, C, C++, PowerBuilder, Visual Basic, and each
one has its purpose.  I'm now beginning using Java.

I would say here that none of them in the list above is really "portable" from
one platform to another even the well-known java :

Has anyone tried already to write some Java applets using JDBC and bring them
to IE & Netscape ?  Due to the multiple versions of Java Virtual Machines
located on the PC itself, due to the multiple versions possible of browsers,
it's not so easily portable !

Each manufacturer's (Microsoft, IBM, ...) unofficial goal is to destroy the
standards to attract the customers/developpers !

Best regards,

Francis
luxemburg europe