HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:32:48 -0800
I was sent private email re. a comment I made wrt PAUSE-FOR-JOB.  In
composing my response I thought some of this may be of general interest.

On Nov 26,  9:17am, SB PARTAGE wrote:
> Thanks Jeff for your suggestions,
> You say ,
> > This doesn't solve the problem of inserting a
> > new job in the middle, however, nor do the suggestions about using the
> > PAUSE-for-a -job enhancement suggested by others.
>
> But ...
> The "PAUSE-for-a -job enhancement suggested by others"  needn't  be strictly
> job-specific.

Good point!  And, in thinking more about it, you can actually *be* job
specific yet still be able to insert/delete one or more jobs easily.

> I am testing it with PAUSE-for-ANY-job coming from a specific account.
> ie. !PAUSE [log in to unmask];EXIST
> As my Weekday and Weekend jobs are all from XACCT, I think this should work.

Yes this should work.  I have a few comments below.

> !JOB JWEEKEND,MGR.ZACCT;outclass=LP,1
> !COMMENT Creation du fichier YYY
> !STREAM JOB1.YYY.ZACCT
> !PAUSE 300

Why are you pausing 300 seconds?  What if your job for whatever reason
completes in 60 seconds -- do you really want to wait an additional
4 minutes?

Did you know you could do this?
   !stream job1.yyy.zacct
   !pause job=!hplastjob

This causes your 'master' job to pause until the job it last streamed is
done.

> !PAUSE [log in to unmask];EXIST
> !
> !COMMENT Creation fichier XXX1
> !STREAM JOB2.XXX.ZACCT
> !PAUSE 300

Again, you could do this:
   !pause job=!hplastjob

Now, if you decide to add a new job you simply insert the STREAM command
line and the same PAUSE line as above.

> I also load in an extra PAUSE 300 in case the next job is a "very fast job".
> And, mercifully!,  according to the doc, the job won't PAUSE itself.
                                                  (correct)

This is an interesting observation; however, if you try to pause for
a job that does not exist anymore, the pause immediately returns.  So,
this should not be a problem.

Sort of related: I have used the HPLASTSPID variable to see the spoolfile
for a job I just streamed.  Example:
    !stream job1
    !print !hplastspid.out.hpspool

What I've observed a few times is that "job1" did not get processed in
time and the HPLASTSPID variable was not yet set, so it returned an
error (or "", I forget). If I place a pause between the STREAM and PRINT
all works fine.  Example:
    !stream job1
    !pause job=!hplastjob ;WAIT
    !print !hplastspid.out.hpspool

In this example, I did not want to sleep until "job1" was finished.  The
WAIT lets me pause until "job1" is at least INTROduced.

Good luck,
Jeff Vance, CSY