HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:42:29 -0600
X-no-Archive:yes
The deal had been rumored about for a little while.  Joe points out that MS
is crying foul.  However, I believe MS, in private, is quite happy about
this deal.  It shows the DOJ and the rest of the world, that they do not
really have a monopoly in browsers and that other companies can do things
and counter MS quite nicely if they put their minds to it.

In the same vein, Linux, which of late has been expanding rapidly, is
probably making MS very happy, again in private.  It is demonstrating to
the DOJ et al, that MS does not have a monopoly on the desktop either.  (I
wouldn't be surprised to one day learn that MS was helping the Linux push
in secret.)

My only question is, since Netscape was going to give away the source code
for Netscape Navigator, are AOL and SUN going to follow through on that
promise?

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com