HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 4

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 00:35:00 +0000
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Rick Ehrhart wrote:

> I think that disc space should be reported in giga bytes.  Sector sizes
> can vary from disk to disk.

Au contraire.  Within MPE, no matter what version, (well I can't speak for
anything older than 1984) a sector has been, and no doubt will always be
(in MPE), 256 bytes and will NOT vary from disk to disk.

(Perhaps you are thinking of what another manufacturer's operating system
(DEC or IBM)  considers what a sector is.  I think the old IBM stuff was
based on the cylinder size, but I'm not really sure as to the details.)

Tracy Johnson