HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:14:29 -0500
At 19:57 11/17/98 -0800, Michael D. Hensley wrote:
>Tom Brandt wrote:
>> I also think that charging one customer one price and another customer a
>> higher price for the identical product borders on the immoral, or at least
>> unethical.
>
>That's just silly.  How does charging one customer more than another differ
>from charging one customer less than another (or are discounts immoral, too)?

Well, maybe not immoral, but stupid considering the point I made earlier
about breeding resentment among customers.

>Any deal someone else and I may wish to make is not only completely
>irrelevent to the deal I make with you, it's none of your business.

Free markets depend on the free flow of information, including pricing.
The stock market, to take one example, would not exists without freely
available price information.  The price someone else paid for a share of
Microsoft, for example, is absolutely relevant to the price I or anyone
else is willing to pay.

Anyway, this is way off topic.

Tom Brandt                            Northtech Systems, Inc.
+1 734-769-5040                     3588 Plymouth Road, Suite 292
+1 734-769-5498 (FAX)            Ann Arbor, MI 48105