HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Mark Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:11:07 -0600
I see that private responses are preferable, but this happens to be a
subject where I can't resist pulling out my soapbox....my apologies in
advance.

Unfortunately I know of very few consulting firms that are more than just
plain pimps.  The major difference between being a contractor and a
prostitute is that the prostitute knows up front that she is billing
$100/hour and only getting $35-45.  Another difference is that the pimp
won't lie to her about the excellent benefits that will be given out as
compensation.  As contractors we aren't told what the client is getting
billed - and guess why?  Why would someone want to hide that figure?
Well, it's not real hard to guess the reason.....

Yes Kevin, it's highway robbery, but a crime that is usually endorsed by
large companies (and yes,  I can understand the reasons that they use
contracting firms).  Your best bet is to set yourself up as a company and
become bonded etc., then approach the company again with a deal.  You'll
have to pay the taxes and do the other admin for yourself (or get an
accountant), but that's the trade off for keeping what you earn.  Your
best bet is to stay away from companies in the F500 or higher, as they
almost always require a consulting firm.....

Good luck
Mark Watkins