HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:52:00 -0800
turnkeypos wrote:
>We have a client with an unsupported HP system using MPE5 for a vertical
>market application designed for the plumbing and heating industry.
>
>They desire adding radio modems and Mobile Data Terminals to their fleet so
>they can record information such as: on site, job complete, technician
>numbers, workorder numbers, etc. directly into the MPE5 application.

There should be nothing that will prevent you from doing this.  It will
probably require more programming than you expect, since it is more
complicated than just writing a "script".  There are lots of people
around who have experience doing this though.  Probably the top experts
in serial communication on HP3000's (of all types) are Telamon (at
www.telamon.com) and they can probably either provide a solution or
at least point you at someone who can.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> MPE-V for classic series (at least on a top end classic box  - 70 and the
> latest version of MPE - Platform2) is NOT REPEAT NOT Y2K compliant.

From http://www.hp.com/year2000/products.html#mpe/v

  MPE/V:
    The classic HP 3000 MPE/V Release 3P and Release 40 are Year 2000
    Compliant with customer action. The customer is required to install Year
    2000 patches to be compliant.

G.