HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:49:24 -0500
Terry wrote:

>>E-mail should be thought of as being as private as things in a locked file
cabinet.

This is a very misleading statement and bound to be trouble.

From my computer/network user handbook, rules #1 & #3

I know that I've sent this on this list before but I feel that it is
important and may save someone from becoming road kill on the information
superhighway.

Rule #1) Never expect privacy in any use of computing and networking in the
workplace.

At the lowest level computers communicate over networks by broadcasting
packets, which are relayed onto their destination by other computers.  To
communicate with another company s computer across the street, it is highly
probable that your packets will travel to Atlanta or San Fransisco and back
in a process known as routing. It is quite simple to see this process in
action using what is known as a trace route command. Even packets sent
within a private network can be  eavesdropped  on, using a process known as
sniffing. These sniffer programs can filter for specific computers or for
specific keywords.

At a higher level EMAIL and other web servers are linked together in
processes known as spooling and caching. Your EMAIL server will hold your
message until it can contact the destination EMAIL server. If the
destination server is down or unreachable, the message may be sent to the
POSTMASTER on your EMAIL server. If the destination EMAIL server is
reachable, the message is sent and stored on that EMAIL server until the
recipient reads the message and deletes it.

An old rule of thumb was to expect that your boss  boss would read
everything you wrote, passing information up the chain of command. Corporate
downsizing during the first half of the 1990s, resulted in many middle
managers being eliminated. This was the result of innovations in ways of
using information technology in the workplace. Electronic mail and
spreadsheets allow information and analysis to flow within the organization
from the bottom up, or the top down, and most importantly from peer to peer,
worldwide very quickly. You now have to assume that everything you write
could be read by anyone in the world.

Finally, it is tempting to refer to your computer workstation at work as  my
computer , or to your laptop as  my portable . You should keep in mind that
this equipment is company property and that the owner has the right to
search this property at any time for any reason. If your workstation or
laptop suddenly requires repairs, you may not be able to make an attempt to
clean up files or otherwise remove inappropriate content.

Rule #3) Permanent deletion of files and data is only a relative reality.

When you delete a file on a computer the actual data is very rarely gone for
good. In fact most systems simply move the file to a holding area for
deletion after a backup is made. At a higher level most EMAIL systems do the
same thing with individual messages. Thus files and messages are never
actually deleted, just moved to an archive media. Restoration from backup or
archive media is a simple task. Once restored, the files can be easily
searched for keywords using search engines similar to those found on web
servers.

Above all, remember that EMAIL messages are discoverable in a legal
proceeding, and creates a timeline of events and decisions. Be especially
cautious of CYA (Cover Your Rear) types of EMAIL. When taken out of context
they can be very damaging in future legal actions. For example: I just want
to go on record saying that we should not use parts from supplier XYZ
because they couldn t meet our tolerances. These types of messages, once
discovered, will make the case for the opposition in a liability action or
lawsuit.

Even on your PC when you delete a file or on Windows 95 clear out the waste
basket (most EMAIL client programs store messages as files), only the
directory entry for the file is marked for deletion. Even at this level it
is possible to undelete a file. The bottom line is simply to assume that
every file you create and every email message you compose will probably
outlive you and your great-great grandchildren.

Mike Hornsby