HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:37:01 -0500
KPORTER wrote:

> However, the response centre now tells me that I may (or may not) see
> performance problems since I only have the one spindle in the system
> volume.  As far as I can see I will have spool files and transient files
> going to the system volume. Everything else is on the private volume.

One spindle in the system volume set is generally accepted as a "bad
thing".
You will have spool files, transient files (read: paging), transaction
manager, and code paging from XL, NL, and other code objects.  Even on
dual spindle configurations, ldev 1 can be a bottleneck.

Bear in mind though when you go to multiple volumes, that MPE will do
it's level best to only allow ldev 1 to reach 50% full, so if you're
choosing spindles, the bigger the capacity, the more you'll waste
(essentially) on
ldev 1 and aggravate fragmentation on other drives.  I'm getting
suitable performance from 2x4Gb internals but I also have Disk Space
Manager from Bradmark (Defrag/X from lund will do this too).

If you can afford it, you might consider 3-4 2Gb drives, I had the 3x2Gb
configuration in another system.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>