HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 3

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:51:20 -0800
On Sunday, November 15, 1998 3:12 AM, Jan Antons [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
wrote:
> We have a HP 969 with MPEix 5.5 and Powerpatch 5. In the next weeks we
want
> to do some Year 2000 Testing.
> What should we test in the operating system and the infra-structre.
> Cna yu give me some hints
>
> Jan Antons
> System manager HP3000/HP9000

<<plug alert >>

Unfortunately, when it comes to testing, there is no one size fits all.  It
depends on your application, what cure methodology you used (data field
expansion, HP dates, windowing), how mission critical the application is,
and how much you're willing to spend to get really thorough testing.

The ultimate in testing is a duplicate computer (or at least a duplicate
complete duplication of production data).  You should be able to daily,
month-end, quarter-end and year-end processing.  You should be able to test
with before December 31, 1999, after December 1, 2000 and even periods when
there is a transition.  Such a comprehensive test involves the use of
automated testing tools that capture examples of screens and records
scienarios of their use in performing real business functions.  This is
something we offer by using a combination of computers purchased from HP,
special arrangements with third-party software vendors and professional
quality control staff.

Charles Finley
OESC
(310) 957-2200