HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

From:
Jim Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:17:55 GMT
Hello Mark, Michael,

Re: VTSERVER Performance Question?

I looked at the SR 5003435362, verified I could see the problem, traced
the problem and found in a simple shell command 'ps -ef' we generated 84
extra packets disabling and enabling subsys break (calls to XCONTRAP).
From the VT subsystem perspective (design), every time subsystem break is
toggeled on/off a "BREAK CONTROL REQUEST" packet will be send a
"BREAK CONTROL REPLY" packet will be received.  NS-VT is working as
designed.

The SR 5003-435362 has been reassigned from the NS-VT product to the MPE/iX
Posix Shell.  The code fix in the Posix Shell will be to move the calls to
XCONTRAP out side of write and/or execution loops.

Michael, you mentioned an application called FINPAC.  Does this program run
on top of the posix shell, or is it running stand alone?  If this program is
run from the shell, then SR 5003435362 may apply to the problem you are
seeing.   If this program is run stand alone from the MPE prompt, then this
application needs to be evaluated for calls to XCONTRAP and the frequency
of the code path the XCONTRAP is executed.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard
Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.

Mark Bixby ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Michael Anderson writes:
: > If I were to using Reflections on a PC, and TELNET to the host HP3000,
: > this FINPAC process
: > would be using 92% CPU. However, if I use Inbound VT the VTSERVER
: > process will take-up
: > about 20% to 50% CPU. This does degrade the performance of my
: > application.

: I discovered that the POSIX shell sh.hpbin.sys runs dramatically slower over
: VT-MGR compared to telnet due to CTRL-Y trap enabling/disabling issues.  See
: SR 5003435362.

: If FINPAC was ported from Unix using POSIX, then you might be experiencing
: the same problem.
: --
: Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
: Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/
: District Information Services   1370 Adams Ave, Costa Mesa, CA, USA 92626-5429
: Technical Support               Voice: +1 714 438-4647
: "You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish." - tunefs(1M)