HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

Pete Crosby ([log in to unmask])
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:14:23 EST
There have been a number of posts on this so I thought I would clear
the air a bit.

Besides user files, there are other structures on discs which cannot be
handled by "file moving" software. These structures include freespace
maps, label table files, directory files, Transaction Manager files, and
transient space (last is only on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET discs; I really
hate that long name).

In order to do a non-INSTALL, or set rebuild if not _long-name-set_,
a sector-for-sector copy has to be performed. As others have already
stated there are a couple of ways to do that. BUT, be aware that this
may well be time wasted. If you are replacing a drive you obviously
have a problem with it and you need to be very aware of exactly what
that problem is and treat it appropriately. If you are getting
CORRECTABLE data errors on the drive or head positioning errors which
the drive is handling okay for now, then doing a disc copy is probably
going to work fine.

HOWEVER, if the problem with the drive has caused any kind of data
corruption then you should go to your back-up tapes or at least
understand that there is a very good possibility you have undetected
data corruption in files and system structures. You will likely spend
so much time handling these problems that you would have been much
better off reloading the set from the get-go. Couple that with the
peace of mind you get knowing you started from scratch with good
back-up tapes and it is a win-win situation.

I have seen this over and over again, so just make sure you fully
evaluate the situation before you decide which way to go and understand
that you may go the copy route only to determine later that the reload
is going to ultimately be necessary.

Regards,

--
        --Pete Crosby  ([log in to unmask]  a.k.a. [log in to unmask])

           I specialize in long run-on sentences and helping users try
           to avoid unecessary INSTALLs and volume set rebuilds.

>Hello All,
>
>We just finished replacing a disk which was "heading south".  So it was
>curious to see Kenneth's comment concerning the replacement of a disk.

<<major snip>>