HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

From:
Steve Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:59:40 GMT
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Greg asks:
>> I remember being told that most of our third party software (we have Adager,
>> SuprTool and VeSoft's packages, among others) had to be on the system volume
>> set, which made little sense to me, but I did not care to argue the point at
>> that time, as we were testing DR as well as creating private volume sets.
>> Can anyone clarify if this is generally the case?
>
>It generally isn't a requirement.  However, two things to keep in mind:
>
>   1) ...
>
>   2) the system is quite capable of running without any of the user volume
>      sets mounted.
>
>      So...you might choose to put important packages (like HourGlass,
>      SPLash! and the Lund Toolboxes) on the system volume
>      set (MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET), and less important packages (like
>      everything else :), on user volume sets.     Note the smiley!
>
>      Seriously, we looked at this and made a concious decision for
>      each product/package/application as to what volume set it should
>      be on.  Our web server is on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, because
>      it's quite important to our business.

Another reason to put something on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET (don't you just love
that name?) is for disaster recovery situations.  If you are having problems
and can't mount a private volume, then a utility that would be useful in this
situation should be on  MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.  Furthermore, it is possible
to boot the system in single disc mode if things are really fouled up.  If you
want to use a utility in that situation, make sure everything it needs is on
LDEV  1.

Steve