HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

From:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:43:36 -0800
Joe Geiser wrote:

> Tim, that's been around since the HP3000 was a pup.  It's used
> for forms alignment and will appear when the FORMS parameter for
> a FILE equation, or FORMS are specified in the program.  To get
> rid of it, do not use the FORMS parameter.

Hmmm...  If I started on the 3000 when I was a pup, too, and just
about every printer I've used since then has been HP-IB (which
doesn't print this alignment ruler), and I'm now *much* to old
in doggie years ( ;-p ), I guess what they say about teaching an
old dog a new trick is true!

> It basically does this:  The spoolfile starts... the alignment
> line is printed.  A Console Request asks if alignment is OK,
> operator replies Yes or No.  If Yes, the spoolfile goes along
> and prints, and if No, another alignment line is printed (it
> does assume the operator made some adjustments to the alignment
> on the printer).

Right!  But you know how hard change can be!  I think once our
operator (Judy) gets used to the line-up, she'll probably wonder
how she ever did without it, but for now we're still in the
learning curve.

> Another way to alert your operator to mount forms is the use of
> TELLOPs in the Jobstream, or execute a PRINTOP or PRINTOPREPLY
> intrinsic in the program itself and ditch the FORMS parameter
> on the FILE equation.  PRINTOP will place a message on the
> console.  PRINTOPREPLY will place the message on the console
> and ask for a reply.  If using COBOL, DISPLAY ... UPON CONSOLE
> and ACCEPT ... FROM CONSOLE will do the same thing.

...which would work great if we didn't have a 'lights-out' backup
and overnight report run, which leaves a pile of reports first
thing in the morning.  Judy has about a half-dozen different forms
to print, and 15-20 files waiting to print on them, and the
messages give her the chance to make sure she has the right ones.

And yeah, we could change the COBOL programs as suggested, but I
guess I'm a lot like that old dog...  layin' in the sun and takin'
a nap (read 'lazy'  :-)

Thanks, Joe!

  My mind is my own, as are my ideas and opinions.
  My heart, body, and soul, however, all belong to others.       Tim.
  Tim Ericson            tericson      DenKor Dental Management Corp.
  Sr. Systems Analyst     at denkor    503-526-4440 (my direct number)
    (& Systems Manager)     dot com         http://www.denkor.com
  Programming HP3000s since 1983!      Quality dental care since 1970!
  UDCs and Command Files:  http://www.denkor.com/hp3000/command_files