HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:58:16 -0800
Wirt comes back on my post:

> One way around the problem -- and I'm not being flippant here --
> is to keep all of the third-party software on the system volume set ..

But.....:  Everything added to the SYS volume is more stuff that is
not mirrored;  and increases the time to do an INSTALL if I should
lose a spindle in the SYS vol (until such time as HP hopefully
enhances Mirror/iX to mirror SYS (yes, I plug it every chance I get) ).

> Sometimes it's just easier to accomodate the darkness than try to
> go light a candle under everyone else :-).

But.....:  There is another factor:  I'm stubborn....  and I figure unlike
the vast sea of providers for common OS in general use, HP 3000
3rd party vendors should be a cut above, and allow for the use of non-
SYS volumes by their customers;  especially as the use of multiple
volume sets becomes (I hope) more common....

BTW FWIW, note that QueryCalc was NOT the product that silently
created two new groups on the SYS volume for me:  QueryCalc very
happily runs with all groups in the AICS account on our USER vol....

:-)  ,

Ken "high 3rd party standards" Sletten