HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 2

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:23:31 -0800
At 11:55 AM 11/11/98 -0600, Tony Furnivall wrote:
>I received this from a colleague, and am forwarding it to the list for
>commenc. Since I don't know if Chandler is a 3000-l subscriber, I'd suggest
>that you respond to him privately aw well as any pots to the list.

<snip>

>>Overview/Goal:
>>Lights out shop through basic automation: job scheduling and user access
>>to information. Also increased User awareness and ownership of data.
>>
>>Current Software:
>>Basic applications: Geac CIS and AIM
>>Speedware and Easy Reporter for IS custom reports
>>SuprTool for DB extraction
>>Adager for improved DB maintenance
>>VESoft and Security 3000 with MPEX for Security
>>
>>Now considering:
>>VistaPlus/MB Spool with Windows Client for user electronic accessibility
>>to standard reports.

Excellent products.  Highly recommended. Consider the Vista Plus for
Windows client rather that the host-based Vista Plus product.  Nice product
with excellent export capabilities.

>>Maestro for Job scheduling

Good product.  Expensive.  Lots of installations but lousy support from a
fairly uninterested company (Tivoli).  Consider looking at a freeware
product called MasterOp.  Look for it at http://www.allegro.com

>>ODBC (ImageSQL) and a front end such as Access, FoxPro or FileMaker Pro
>>for improved direct access to the DB for custom needs.

Try the ODBCLink/SE that comes standard with MPE.  Remember two things:  1)
Once you give it, people will use it (and at a cost of CPU) and 2) Once you
give it, it will be very hard to take away.

>>Am I overlapping in any areas? Am I missing a key component? Is there a
>>more frugal but equally competent way? Any advice or input you have is
>>greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to look at some performance tools.  I suggest SOS/3000
Performance Advisor, Performance Gallery and De-Frag/X from Lund
Performance Solutions.  You can reach them at (541)926-3800.

Bill Lancaster