HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 23:00:55 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of Jim Kramer,
> Stan wrote:
>
> > Jim (don't know what got into *him* today) Kramer gripes:

> > > Yes, that's right, and radio is better than TV, black and white is better
> > > than color, storytellers beat movies, deafness beats hearing, and
> > > blindness beats seeing.
> >
> > You're right...radio *IS* better than TV ... sometimes.  So, too, is B&W
> > better than color *sometimes*, and storytellers *do* beat movies
> > *sometimes*.
>
> OK, it was a crabby response, but I'll stand by it.  I've always disagreed
> with the attitude that we have lost something with the advance of technology.
> I may not want Casablanca colorized, but it would have been wonderful in
> color.  Especially Ingrid, beautiful Ingrid.
>
> Oh yes, transistors are better than tubes, and CD's are better than LP's.
> And the superbowl beats a picnic.

Then I offer you my sympathies.  I am not against progress, per se.  I agree
beyond a shadow of a doubt that transistors, in general, beat tubes and CD's
are better than LP's, but all of the above are beat hands down by the
experience of sitting in one's living room actually playing the music oneself.
My trouble with the progression of technology is not that in that it has made
life better, for unquestionably it has, but that through its progression we
have lost our participation in life.

Sure, Ingrid might have been even more wonderful had Casablanc been shot in
color, but I'm guess you'd even pass up an evening with just you and the
Superbowl via latest home-entertainment gadget for a picnic with a girl of
her qualities ;-).

I'm with you within the realm of technology.  If you are going to watch a
movie anyway, why not have it be color?  But I'd rather skip the movie and
enjoy real life instead.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
I read in the proof sheets of Hardy on Ramanujan: "As someone said, each of