HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Larry LaForge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:27:56 -0500
From: Larry LaForge@HIMCO on 11/05/98 03:27 PM

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Bar Code Printer

Connect the bar code printers with a straight thru cable and configure them
as a foreign device with a term type of 18.  Make sure all dip switches
match your configuration, ie baud rate, etc.

We print bar code labels from the HP3K using a product from Loftware, Inc.
called LLM-WIN, see
www.loftwareinc.com.  We use the Smart Compiled Files feature to create
printer ready files with all the special characters already in them, and
then copy these files to the HP3K.  We then replace our application data
into the place holders provided in the files.  It is then just a matter of
printing these files to you LDEV.

You can also use the PC to print using a stand alone batch program, you
then need to pass your application data to the PC thru Reflection.

Hope this helps.

Text of orginal message:

We are using DataMax bar code printers that are attached to PC's and
we only print locally from the PC, not from the HP3K.  We now have a
need to print to a designated bar code printer directly from the HP3K.
These printers have serial connections, so can I connect one of them
to a properly configured DTC port and print from the HP3K?

What should the configuration look like?  Or should I just fool around
with the config until it works or I give up in frustration?

What about printing to the local PC bar code printer?  Can I print
from the HP3K, from a program running from a session that is not
on the local PC, to the local PC bar code printer?  The PC is networked
to the HP3K and we print bar code labels now indirectly from the HP3K
by using MS92 to download a data file to the PC and invoking a PC-based
bar code printing app, but this requires a session to be active on the
PC that has the printer attached to it.  What I would like to do is to
leave the PC's bar code printer in place so it works with the other
software and then have another user from another PC (actually another
session that is interfacing with a hand held bar code scanner) print
bar code labels on the bar code printer as well.  Is this doable?  And
what do I need (software-wise) to make it work?

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231

||     ||     ||    Larry LaForge
                                                          Hitchiner
Manufacturing Co.
||\\ || //||    Phone:  (603) 673-1100 x312
Elm Street
|| \\||// ||    Fax:        (603) 673-0827
                                          Milford, NH  03055
 www.hitchiner.com