HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:48:26 -0800
Cary came back on my post:

> Here's my question: Is there a clean way to clear a disk of data,
> replace it, then put the data back on without having to go through
> these calistenics?

Well, DeFrag/X might do it;  I don't know about Bradmark's Disc
Space Manager.....  but before betting the ranch, I would check very
carefully on whether or not a truly "clean and cleared" disc (and
directory and file label table and who know what etc.) could be
generated just by moving files.  You are talking about having to get
every last byte of needed data off a particular spindle, to the point
where the OS would not care if it was powered off...  someone with
a lot more knowledge than I have of the low-level nuts and bolts in
this area will have to answer this one....

> BTW, I'm assuming that part of Kenneth's procedures include
> restoring files from the backup he created....

Definitely..... We did a full INSTALL.....  it's just that with most if not
all the non-HP files on our USER and BACKUP volumes, the number
of MBytes left on the <long_name> is pretty small...  hmmm....
I haven't checked in a bit.....  short interlude.....:

DISCFREE says that right now our site has just a hair under 2 GB
of permanent space on the <long_name>;  on four 2 GB spindles....
and in that I may need to do some garbage collection & disposal.

BTW, lest somebody get themselves in trouble with their HP
support team on account of what I said, note that performing the "do
it yourself hardware surgery" I mentioned on an HP 3000 on an HP
hardware support contract *might* be frowned upon by your CE.....
in fact, in thinking about this some more my old tired neurons now
seem to recall that the "install new disc" part of the hardware swap
in our case was actually done by our CE....

:-) ,
Ken